Saturday, September 8, 2007

New Years Traditions


Since everyone seems to be stirring at this point, just wondering what other people's New Year's traditions are and how many you have picked up from friends, significant others etc.1) The PeachI started going down to underground Atlanta in the late 80's to watch the Peach Drop. A year before that I was working at elan in dunwoody (they closed later that year). A year before that I brought in the new year at the Limelight (that was the last year it was open). Suffice it to say, I don't like being in a club at midnight anymore. The club usually closes that year.2) Chinese FoodMy ex-girlfriend said that you should eat Chinese food on New Year's day. No idea why. Maybe she was thinking of Christmas day?3) Black Eyed Peas/Collard GreensMy childhood nanny told me this was important. Collards for money in the new year, and the peas for luck.4) Hoppin' John whatever this stuff is, a friend had a new years day party and made it. no idea5) champagnebeats me6) kissing at midnightgood to do, but no idea where it came from7) sex sometime on New Year's Dayagain, good to do, but no idea where the tradition came from8) 'what you do on new year's day, you will do for the rest of the year'a friend suggested that you:a) count your moneyb) spend some of your money (wisely)c) start a new projectd) call family and friends9) put change in a jar filled with watermy family used to drive up to North Carolina and ski Beech mountain between Christmas and New Year's. For a while we'd end up bringing in the New Year in the motel room with my mom's mother (my Persian grandmother)She would put change in the bottom of a jar or glass and leave it on the table from nye to the end of nyd. She said that it would bring us money in the new year.It didn't. We stopped doing it after two years of poor results.Not that I WANT any addition New Year's traditions. I'm just curious as to if I seem to be the only one with so many.

No comments: